3.06.2009

The Pre-Adoption Psychological Evaluation (Malcolm-2002)

Last week, Malcolm and I had to meet with a psychologist as part of the adoption process. It wasn’t a pleasant experience, and it was only afterwards that I realized it was her that didn’t get it—not me. Just because she had the title of psychologist behind her name didn’t mean that she was anymore familiar with the nuances of the unintentional discrimination against older child adoptions than the guy at the DMV. Yet, because she had that title, I let my guard down.


“Tell me about Malcolm,” the psychologist had asked. We talked for about thirty minutes while Malcolm worked on his homework in the other room. I told the psychologist about Malcolm’s situation with school and how he’d moved around a lot when he was in first and second grades. I also shared how I thought the separation of Mychael and Malcolm had affected them over the last few years. I tried to give her an overview of the big picture so she would better understand Malcolm.

I work in the system; I understood her role. Basically, the Court had determined that this woman’s forty five minute interview with Malcolm would somehow give her the authority to evaluate him in terms of his psychological and emotional well being. Regardless, I thought the psychologist and I were allies—that we both wanted what was best for Malcolm. As a result, I never felt any ill will for her whatsoever. That is, until she filled me with bullets toward the end of the conversation. “And so, whereas Mychael had the benefit of being the only child, Malcolm-”

“Stop,” she said abruptly. “If I hear you make one more comment about Mychael, I am going to recommend that you not be allowed to adopt Malcolm.”

I was so shocked by her interruption in the first place that it took me a minute to process the content of her statement. “What?” I finally asked her.

“I’ve sat here for the last thirty minutes and listened to you talk about how Mychael had this and Malcolm had that, about how Mychael did this and Malcolm did that. I did not ask you about Mychael and yet, you have spent half the conversation talking about Mychael,” she said in a haughty, self righteous tone.

Is this really happening, I thought, feeling my face get red and my jaw start to throb. I didn’t even know how to respond; I was so floored by her angry tone and the condemning nature of her comments. I’m not even sure what I said to defend myself, but I know I was embarrassed and humiliated. I left that office feeling like the most horrible Mother on the face of the planet. Despite ice packs, muscle relaxers and a ton of ibuprofen, I didn’t sleep more than an hour that night because my jaw hurt so badly.

The next day at work, my co-worker Lynn, who—like my Mom—was born to Mother, asked me about the appointment.

“It went okay,” I told her, too embarrassed to admit that during the meeting, I’d discovered what a rotten Mother I was. “Did you have both the kids last night?” I asked her, trying to change the subject. She loved to talk about her grandchildren. She picked them up from daycare two or three times a week as a favor to her daughter and always had stories to share. Her oldest granddaughter, Madison, had recently turned three, and the youngest granddaughter, Melissa, was just shy of a year old.

“Yes, and Melissa is getting so big. It looks like she’s going to be walking soon. Madison was well over a year old when she started walking. But, they say the second one walks sooner in order to keep up with the first one. Melissa is already trying to rip off her diaper. Can you believe that? Every time she goes potty, she’ll tell you and want her diaper changed. I think Melissa is going to potty train before Madison, too.”

I told Lynn how my Mom always used to say the same things about my brother and me. “She always said how I was more expressive and overt whereas Shawn was the sweet one who was always trying to make sure some sense of order was maintained.”

“Yeah, my girls are the same way,” Del chimed in.

“And you have three kids,” I said, validating the exhaustion of yet another child.


While Del and Lynn continued comparing and contrasting their kids, I found myself thinking about my own and how Mychael did one thing whereas Malcolm did another. Suddenly, I had an epiphany.


Lynn,” I interrupted, “how does your daughter gauge her expectations of Melissa?”


“What do you mean?”


“I mean...like, how does she know when her girls might walk, or eat solid foods or potty train or whatever else.”


“I don’t know. I guess for Melissa, she probably looks at Madison…and for Madison, I guess she probably reads books, or asks me what she did when she was little.”

Feeling validated by the information, I explained the situation with the psychologist.

“I can’t believe she said that to you,” Del remarked from behind his cubicle wall.

“Me neither,” Lynn said, clearly annoyed. “These are your first kids, how are you supposed to know what to expect? Of course you compare your kids, but not because you are trying to see which one is better…because you’re trying to figure them out…and the oldest child is your only frame of reference! And she’s going to recommend against the adoption because of it? Give me the phone number of that lady.”


“It’s okay. Just knowing I’m not a horrible Mother makes me feel better. Now that I understand the situation, I’ll be able to defend myself if she decides to go that route. I’m just so glad I’m not a bad Mom. I felt so guilty last night—slept less than an hour.”


“Same here,” Del, my fellow parentally induced insomniac added. “I took a couple Tylenol PMs, but still couldn’t fall asleep until 5:00 this morning. How are we supposed to sleep at night when there’s so much to worry about?”

8 comments:

Other Mother said...

It's taken me a long time to get to this point (and sometimes it takes reminders from friends like yours), but I do know now that some professionals are just jerks. They're not the parents, they don't care, and they are drunk with power. They are jerks - and no initials following their name can outweigh that fact.

Team Thompson said...

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? I believe everyone has good intentions, it's just that "real life" doesn't fit into nice, neat boxes. Not everyone is able to think from the spirit of why a rule was made in the first place. The way I see it, we, as parents, are adept at thinking outside of the box. We realize that in order to create success, you have to be creative. We also understand that our kids are unique. People without our experiences just see the situation from what they learned in class, and while that's a nice start, it's certainly not enough. Hang in there because at the end of the day, it's YOU who matters most. Those other people are capable of being replaced. You are not. You're awesome!!

Eric Neblung, Ph.D. said...

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. As a psychologist who performs adoptive parent evaluations I can say that your experience is definitely NOT how it is supposed to go. You were right when you said that both adoptive parent and psychologist share the goal of looking out for the best interest of the child. To do this, the psychologist must be a neutral fact finder, not an opponent. The evaluation is not a "trick" or "trap" but a step to make sure that the parent is psychologically healthy (not perfect) enough to parent effectively.

Like someone who commented on your experience stated, "...some professionals are just jerks." OUCH! The truth hurts! However, I emphasize the "some" in that statement because most psychologists are caring professionals deeply committed to the welfare of the people they serve.

To those going in for an evaluation, relax and be yourself. You don't have to be perfect. No one is!

Good luck and best wishes to all adoptive parents,

Eric Neblung, Ph.D.
www.eric-neblung-phd.com

Kathleen Guire said...

I stumbled upon your blog while researching Psychological Evaluations in adoption. My husband and I adopted four children in 2000 from Poland and had to do go through an evaluation, we didn't have a great experience. I needed to see if others have gone through similar confusing scenarios. Thanks for sharing. Professionals cannot measure your competency as a mother in a matter of hours. I'm sure you have moved on from this experience, but again, thanks for sharing, I know I am not alone in my confusion of these evaluations!

Anonymous said...

I was offended to be asked to do a psych evaluation. During the home study, they ask you extremely personal questions about your past, even about things in your life from 20 - 30 years ago, even things you have grown and moved forward from. You are judged for things out of your control such as the behavior of your parents, relatives and siblings. Then they send you to a psych evaluation after they have un-earthed an overflow of situations that you have put past you. Situations you had not even thought about in years. I am going through the process of adoption because we tried everything to get pregnant. So because I am choosing a loving process, I am being judged by every aspect of my life. I wonder if race is involved or how many diverse adoptive parents have been clients of this agency. I feel I am being treated unfairly. I've decided to stop asking questions and just go through the zombielike process. I will make "no sudden moves" and will be very calm and unassuming during future interviews. I'm disappointed because this is a "Christian" agency that has not really shown me much compassion, but a whole lot of judgement. My marital status, income and age were mentioned as factors. I am the average age of adoptees. I begin the process as a married person. I am the most financially secure person I know. I think they want to come up with a reason just to give grief or just to act as gatekeepers. Prayer is the only way to get through this. I agree with positive adoption's comments.--they cannot determine how good of a parent you will be in just a few hours of watching you.

Anonymous said...

With the IVF process, you are poked and prodded physically. With the adoption process, you are poked and prodded mentally, financially and emotionally. Congratulations to all of you who survived the process and came out parents on the other end. Kudos to you all. I hope to be there soon.

Unknown said...

It's shocking how much an adoptive parent has to go through in order to adopt. I used to find it incredibly offensive. Yet, after nearly twenty years of motherhood, I have a different perspective. I appreciate that government humans attempt to ensure that children like my own are not handed over to awful people. It's hard to believe, but those people do exist, and the rules are made for them. In my opinion, the breakdown occurs with the people implementing the rules. In our case, the person who conducted the PPE allowed her own prejudices and biases to influence her opinion of what "normal" parenting entails. I appreciate that she was trying to protect him. I'm not sure why she couldn't understand that I was as well. Guess that makes me the wiser person.

I should mention that I took the kids to a different psychologist for pre-adoption therapy. Upon completion, he wrote a letter to the court stating that despite how we looked on paper, my kids absolutely saw me as their mother. Reading that letter was extremely validating, proof of what I already knew.

Unfortunately, there will always be people who won't see you as a legitimate family because you don't share DNA. That's okay. These challenges will make you and your family stronger.

Rebecca A. Maynard said...

Adoption is about the value of making a real, meaningful connection and the beauty of honest friendship in a cold, despondent world where each can often be so hard to find. learn more