3.08.2009

What Do They Call You?

I used to get asked this question all the time when I first adopted my sons. Yet, after a while, people got to know us and stopped asking. After moving from California, the question re-surfaced thanks to the fact that no one knew us, and we were starting all over again. Now that the kids are in college, I rarely get asked this question...mostly because, I'm not on the battle fields advocating for them on a daily basis.

However, the other day, I was talking with a new person and they wanted to know if I had children. That triggered the whole "You Don't Look Old Enough" thing. After she was finished interrogating me...Okay, I'm being mean because she was just curious and in my rational mind, I know that. I accept that we don't look normal and frankly, I hate normal anyway, so what am I complaining about?

Anyway, after she was able to make sense of the fact that I am, in fact, the abnormally young Mother of my 23 and 20 year old sons, she asked, "What do they call you?"

I paused.

In the past, I would have had the answer waiting on the tip of my tongue. But, it'd been a while since someone asked, and quite frankly, I was off my game. "Barry," was what I wanted to say. In fact, when I wasn't so rusty, I would have quickly provided an answer that only I would get to hear...one in my head: "Jim, Barry, Freida, Bitch, Warden." And within seconds, would have been able to provide the more audible response of: "Mom, they call me Mom just like I call my Mom...and sometimes when they're pissed at me, they probably call me other things, just like I did with my Mom when I was a young. We're just like every other family. I know that might seem difficult to grasp, but we really are just like everyone else."

We are, right? Because every Mother knows what it's like to have to prove that she is, in fact, worthy of being called "Mom"? And likewise, every son or daughter knows what it's like to feel like a fraud for calling your Mom, "Mom"?

On one hand, I get it. I understand that whenever you choose to be different, you're going to face obstacles. It's not that people won't accept you for being different, it's that first, they'll need to understand you. We're socialized to view everything in boxes and categories. When someone or something doesn't fit into our nice and neat scenarios, our brains simply can't process. I'm proud to be so complex that I cannot be easily understood. In fact, I strive to be indiscernible. And yet, sometimes, it would really be nice if someone just assumed that I was "Mom".

The other day, I visited the kids at Purdue. We went to Chipotle, one of Malc's favorites. Upon going through the line and reaching the cashier, we found ourselves in an all too familiar position. The cashier, of course, was confused about payment. First, she tried to ring up Malcolm separately, prompting Malcolm to say, "We're together," pointing in the direction of Mychael and I. I could tell by the look on her face that Malcolm's guidance meant little.

I read her mind as she tried to process: "Who's together? The two Black guys? Oh, you mean all three of you are together? Then who's paying? The girlfriend?"

Again, I'm used to this, it really isn't a big deal. I mean really, if I were on the outside, would I assume any differently--especially on a college campus? No, I wouldn't. But I was tired on that night. "For once, I just wish people would assume I'm your Mom," I said to Malcolm.

"At least you look young, which is a good thing, right?" he responded reassuringly.

Oh the wisdom and maturity...

To feel connected even when everyone else thinks you're not is powerful. It's Us v. Everyone Else and maybe on some twisted level, that's actually helped us to be that much stronger as a family. Had we not been forced to openly face our uniqueness on a daily basis, maybe we really would feel less legitimate as a family. Yet, we've certainly not lacked for "teachable moments" in the last ten years and as such, we're extremely comfortable in our roles. We are a very open and communicative team, probably (definitely) more so than normal families. That said, I guess I should be thankful for the seemingly insensitive questions, insinuations and assumptions.

So, thanks, normal people, for forcing us to confront the obvious, find resolution and come out stronger and better in the end.

Oh, and normal people, we appreciate that not everyone can be as strong as us, but don't worry, we still accept you.

6 comments:

Tony and Rett said...

Hmmm, I wonder what category I fit in? Normal? Not-so-normal? I'm guessing the latter. And, I'm WAY ok with that!

Want to hear two of the best questions I've ever been asked? (Mind you, my daughters are Chinese and my husband and I are VERY caucasian.) 1. Will you tell them they're adopted? 2. Will they be able to speak spanish?

HAHAHAHAA--ok, both from kids in my classrom, but a taste of our life nonetheless!

Thanks, friend. You inspire me. We'll be writing another page in our story on Thursday...I'll email you and let you know what this chapter is about!

Tony and Rett said...

Crud, look how I spelled classroom! Grrr, spelled it incorrectly AND admitted I was a teacher...YIKES!

Team Thompson said...

A spelling error? Okay, so that definitely means you're normal--too bad :)

Really, we could probably write a whole book on absurd questions that only we'd (adoptive parents) find entertaining!

nick mucci said...

so beautifully put! my wife and I are just gettin started on this journey and i must say my sarcastic laden comments are ready to be fired in response to silly questions...

...hopefully i'll have a bit more grace :). again, so well put!

Titus 2 Thandi said...

LOL. Thank you for accepting us normal people! :)Thanks for th ehomecoming answer-when I used to watch TV I'd always hear about it in the movies etc,but (obviously) they weren't exactly geared at those who didn't have the concept in their own countries so I never totally got it!

Team Thompson said...

Thandi the homecoming king/queen thing is truly a bizarre one. Just one of many bizarre American experiences, I suppose. By the way, don't believe much of what you see in the movies either because 99% of Americans are down to earth, regular people just like you and me.

Nick, it gets easier--trust me. At first, you just fake it, then after a while, it becomes unconscious. Understanding is a two way street and more often than not, you'll have to be the one to take the first step. You are, after all, the weirdo. We've stopped trying to be like everyone else and have embraced our inner (and perhaps outer) weirdo. It's so much easier that way!